Brown Rallies to Humble Nine, 10-7; Varsity, Jayvee Crews Beat Cornell

Eights Overcome Lake Cayuga Jinx That Has Lasted for 22 Years

By Bayard Hooper

Both Tom Bolles and his famous battered hat were dumped into Lake Cayuga Saturday. Bolles was fished out again, but the hat was not.

The traditional piece of haber-dashery, a symbol of good luck to Harvard crews for many years, is now resting on the bottom of Lake Cayuga, where the coach threw it Saturday afternoon after his varsity and jayvee crews ended the 22-year-old Cornell jinx.

Neither Crew Has Trouble

Neither Crimson crew had much trouble registering this first Bolles-engineered Ithaca victory, despite the extensive lineup changes which took place last week. Art Rouner, stroking the varsity in ailing Bill Curwen's stead, rowed a typical Curwen race, keeping the stroke low all the way and only raising it to a 34 for the finishing sprint.

Cornell, stroking higher, pulled out a slight early lead, but was overtaken half-way down the course. With a half-mile to go, Harvard had a length margin, which it increased to a length and three-quarters by the finish.

The jayvees also had the situation well in hand. At times the Big Red was overstroking them by 11 beats per minute, but the Crimson took an early lead and held it all the way.

By the mile marker the Crimson was an even length in front, and pulled this lead out to two lengths to finish going away.

Race, Shortened

The races were originally scheduled for two miles, but high winds forced the proceedings into the sheltered Cayuga inlet, which is barely a mile and five-sixteenths long. Conditions were very good for the jayvee race, but the varsity ran into stiff headwinds in the last half mile, which accounts for the additional seconds it took them to row the distance.