Construction of a new memorial to Governor Thomas Dudley, one of the College's founders, has been started on the Massachusetts Avenue side of Lamont Library. The new memorial, an ornamental terrace and sundial, replaces the Dudley Gate on Quincy Street, which was removed to make room for Lamont.
Reached by stone steps from the street and by walks from the Library, it will carry, in more legible form, the carved inscriptions of the original: "in memory of Thomas Dudley, Governor of the Colony of Massachusetts Bay."
Two semi-circular stone benches, similar to those which supplemented the Dudley Gate, will flank the sundial and bear the inscriptions of the original benches. These read, "One of thy founders him New England know who staid thy feeble sides when thou wast low" and "who spent his state his strength and years with care that after comers in them might have share."
Since the soft sandstone in which the legends were originally carved had been crumbling, the new memorial will give fresh emphasis to the inscriptions.
The terrace, just inside the Class of 1880 Gate, will be protected from the street by a high wall and can be viewed from the windows of Lamont.
The sundial-terrace form was suggested by Miss Caroline Phelps Stokes, benefactress of the Governor Dudley Memorial.