Investigating Group OK's Niemans

A special committee appointed by President Conant to review the first ten years of Nieman Fellowships at Harvard has reported that the Foundation is working well and should be continued, William M. Pinkerton, Director of the University News Office, told the CRIMSON last night.

The committee made two recommendations to improve the operation of the Foundation, Pinkerton stated. These are the appointment of an advisory committee to help increase understanding of the work of the Nieman Foundation, and the addition of three newspapermen to the selection committee to aid in the professional appraisal of candidates for Nieman Fellowships. Both these recommendations have already been put into effect.

The new members of the selection committee will be: Erwin D. Canham, editor of the Christian Science Monitor; James B. Reston, diplomatic correspondent of the New York Times; and John M. Clark, publisher of the Claremont (New Hampshire) Daily Eagle. Present members of the committee are: Louis M. Lyons, Curator of the Nieman Fellowships, chairman; David W. Bailey '21, Secretary to the Corporation and to the Board of Overseers; and Pinkerton.

Lyons, Clark, and Pinkerton have all hold Nieman Fellowships, and Bailey is a former newspaperman.

The 12 members of the special committee which made the survey of the Foundation have been appointed to the advisory committee. They are: Geoffrey Parsons, chief editorial writer of the New York Herald Tribune; Sevellon Brown, publisher of the Providence (Rhode Island) Journal; Canham; Hodding Cartor, publisher of the Delta Democrat-Times (Greenville, Mississippi); Marquis W. Childs, Washington columnist; Mark Ethridge, publisher of the Louisville (Kentucky) Courier-Journal; Phillip L. Graham, publisher of the Washington Post; Palmer Hoyt, publisher of the Denver Post; Benjamin M. McKelway, editor of the Washington Star; Robert McLean, publisher of the Philadelphia Bulletin; Reston; and Paul Smith, editor of the San Francisco Chronicle.