Conference Speakers Agree World Has Chance for Peace

Amidst a flurry of "solutions" and opinions on the state of the world in general, C. Crane Brinton '19, McLean Professor of Ancient and Modern History, last night told the Harvard Conference for World Peace that he was dubious that atomic secrets will prevent war.

In his speech before a crowd of several hundred at the New Lecture Hall, Brinton rapped the United States for a sense of self-righteousness which, he claimed, is pushing us toward war. To make the peace, he states that both the U.S. and Russia must stop their "cat-and-mouse" strategies and work together through the U.N.

Henry D. Aiken, associate professor of Philosophy, whittled away at the various ways the U.S. and Russia might prevent war, and decided that the only feasible solution was through a mutual fear of its results. Mutual trust, he concluded, between the two nations is now impossible and can't exist for many years. Aiken then put some small measure of approval on the signing of the Atlantic Pact.

He also hit the U.S. for its policy of supporting reaction in both Greece and Turkey, calling it a moral disgrace for Spain to be a member of either the U.N. or the Atlantic Pact. Aiken posed an unanswered question on how to deal with the "unrest of desperate men which gives birth to totalitarianism."

Colston E. Warne, professor of economics at Amherst, spent a good part of his time discussing Poland in particular as he attacked the economic problems in U.S.-Russian relations. Claiming that Europe in general doesn't appreciate the United States, he singled out Poland as a bright spot on the western European scene--a nation not yet completely dom-

Asks Trade With Poland

Through that country, a link between East and West, Warne says we can work out a long period of good will and trade between the nations of the world, not individually, but on "total patterns."

Professor Joseph Fletcher of the Episcopal Theological Seminary played with the topic: "New Social forces in the World." When drawn out in the following discussion period, he stated that the war now shaping up has aspects of a class war, and that the U. S. is prone to talk of liberty, but not "justice." Nothing, he declared, would be as indecent as a deliberate war on any nation that might attack us.

The two-day conference winds up its schedule today with speeches on four other current topics this morning and this afternoon in Yard classrooms.