Donelan Pitches for Frosh Nine Against Exeter Today

By Andrew E. Norman

Bill Hickey will be at third base for the freshmen at 2:30 p.m. on Soldiers Field today against the Exeter baseball team which he captained last spring.

Jack Donelan will start his fourth game for the Crimson. The '52 captain has won twice, lost once, and tied once. He went the full distance each time.

Bon Akillian will bat third and play center field and Win Carduff will lead off and play second, as usual. Catcher Charlie Walsh will bat fourth, forcing Donelan out of the cleanup spot again, this time down to the number five slot.

Competition Rigorous

The rest of the lineup, which takes a new shape almost every game, will probably find Ralph Robinson in left field, batting second, Bob Thompson in right field, batting seventh after Hickey, Charlie Cabot at short, batting ninth, and either Al Switzer or Tim Wise at first base, batting eighth.

Coach Dolph Samborski said last night the outfield problem has been whittled down to a case of two men fighting for what might be termed one and one-half positions. Akillian, of course, is not part of the problem at all.

Robinson and Thompson have won temporarily perhaps, the right to play when Donelan pitches. When Jack moves out to left field between mound appearances, however, it will still be a toss-up as to which of the two men plays right.

Neither Wise nor Switzer has yet earned the permanent assignment as guardian of the initial sack. Switzer will probably start today, but the race is still unsettled, according to Coach Samborski.

Young Has Bad Log

Henry Young's leg infection will keep him out of today's encounter, but Coach Samborski would not commit himself as to whether he or Cabot would be at short even if he were sound. Young's injury over the past week has given Cabot a second chance to try for a regular's role, and he has looked more than adequate in the attempt.

The batting order: Carduff 2b, Robinson lf, Akillian cf, Walsh c, Donelan p, Hickey 3b, Thompson rf, Switzer or Wise 1b, and Cabot ss.