Track Squad Faces Green In Meet at Hanover Today

Sprinter Jon Spivak and quarter miler Harvey Thayer, Harvard's new one-two wallop in the running events, may decide the outcome of today's meet with Dartmouth at Hanover.

If they run as swiftly as they did last Saturday in the Stadium, Jaakko Mikkola's team has a good chance to beat the Indians for the 24th time in 25 outdoor dual meets.

Indian Trouble Shooters

"It will be close," Jaakko said yesterday before boarding the 6 p.m. bus for Hanover. "Jim Burnham will stop us from sweeping the hammer throw, and Dartmouth has some other fellows who could give us trouble."

Last spring, the Crimson rolled to a soft 84-56 win, but several varsity winners in that meet aren't available for today's competition. Frank Gurley and Sam Felton have graduated, Captain Dave Hamblett has a bad cold, and Don Trimble won't be able to throw the javelin because of a strained elbow.

Dartmouth's Captain Jim Burnham is favored to win the hammer throw, and Stan Waterman should have little trouble taking the two mile. The varsity hopes to counter with Pat McCormick in the hurdles, Geoff Tootell in the shot and discus, and Spivak and Thayer.

Other Harvard entries who might win their events are pole vaulter Bill Lawrence, broad jumper Dave Carter, high jumper Gene Harrigan, and half-miler Al Ruby. John Thorndike, Tom Cameron, Don Trimble and Howie Reed will give Tootell plenty of help in the weights.