100 Scientists, Educators Witness Inauguration of Synchro-Cyclotron

Provost Buck Heads Meeting Which Demonstrates Newly Built 125 Million Volt Device

Nearly 100 scientists and educators gathered at the Nuclear Laboratory last Wednesday to examine Harvard's new 125,000,000 volt synchro-cyclotron and to hear speakers at its official opening.

Associate Professor Norman F. Ramsey, chairman of the Harvard Physics Department Cyclotron Committee, speaking first, told briefly how the cyclotron worked. He stated that the new cyclotron is able to accelerate protons to speeds about half that of light, which travels at 186,00 miles per second. The cyclotron weighs 750 tons.

Other speakers were Captain A. L. Pleasants, U.S.N., Commanding Officer, Boston Branch, Office of Naval Research; Alan T. Waterman, Deputy Chief and Chief Scientist, Office of Naval Research; H. M. MacNeille, Chief of the Fundamental Research Branch, Division of Research, Atomic Energy Commission; Urner Liddel, Acting Director of the Physical Sciences Division, Office of Naval Research; and Lee L. Davenport, Associate Director of the Harvard Cyclotron Laboratory.

Davenport closed the ceremonies with a dramatic demonstration of the cyclotron's potency. He placed a block of metal that had been bombarded by the machine before a Geiger counter. A violent ticking from this machine showed that the block was radio-active.

Provost Buck as chairman of the ceremonies introduced the speakers.

During the hour before the ceremonies members of the staff were on hand to explain the fundamentals of the machine to laymen as well as to point out the fine points to experts.

Although the official opening was not until last Wednesday, the Cyclotron has had several trials. The first successful operation was at 2:03 a.m. June 3.

Wednesday evening there was a dinner at the Harvard Club of Boston, with Professor Ramsey as toastmaster and Alan T. Waterman as speaker. Waterman spoke on Government Support of Research.