Pay Raises Go to Janitors, Police, Holiday to Maids

Following three weeks of negotiation, the Buildings and Grounds Department and the Caretaking Division have granted wage increases to janitors, bindery employees, and University police, while maids gained alternate Saturdays off with full pay.

Participating in the pay-raise discus were representatives of the University and members of the Employees Representative Association. The pay increases, and the change in maid service go into effect Monday, July 1.

At the start of the wage talks in May the maids asked for a five day week. The compromise on partial Saturday service means that the maids on duty will do only as much as they are able during four hours on the job.

Police Take Holidays

University policemen also gained holidays; officers will have a single day off in one week, then two days the next week. This gives them a total of 88 free days a year. Cambridge police have 77.

While bindery employees received a flat five cents an hour raise, a graded increase of five, six, and seven cents an hour will give top janitors $217. The police salary increase was $50 a year.

Discussions are continuing between the employee representatives and University officials concerning raises for guards and maintenance mechanies. A University offer was rejected last week as unsatisfactory by employees. No decision has been reached is negotiations between the RAA and its employees.