Opposes 'Witch-Hunts'

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

As a member of the CRIMSON editorial staff during college years, I wish to express hearty approval of your forth right and courageous stand in behalf of academic freedom and Harvard honor, in opposing the "witch-hunting" proposal to exclude from the University's teaching personnel anyone endorsing or supporting the ideals and philosophy of Communism.

I am writing to President Conant by the same mail expressing deep regret that, if the reports be correct, he approves any such recommendation. And saying that it seems to me a repudiation of the best traditions of intellectual liberty and personal honor which Harvard has in the past so nobly upheld. I also earnestly urged his reversal of such reported contravening of our academic ideals. Rev. Eliot White '92   Episcopal Diocese of New York

The CRIMSON would like to point out that President Conant, and the Corporation, through the agency of Grenville Clark's letter to Frank B. Ober, has specifically repudiated any "witch-hunts" or Inquiries into the political beliefs of the Faculty.