HYRC Raps FCC On Radio Closing

The Young Republican Club last night called the closing of WHRB "an excellent example of the arbitrariness and inflexibility typical of the Federal bureaucracy."

After terming the Federal Communications Commission's action "unjust and unwise," a statement by HYRC president Jay E. Jansen '51 continued, "The affected Boston radio stations have not objected that WHRB interferes with their activities, and yet the Harvard Radio Network must shut down and suffer heavy financial losses.

"The officers of the HYRC particularly object to the FCC's taking such drastic action without a hearing or even a fair warning.

"We believe that the FCC should grant the station a temporary operating permit until a full and adequate hearing can be held. We further believe the FCC should determine a policy recognizing the valuable service and the experimental work of college radio stations."

"The officers of the HYRC regard this as an excellent example of the arbitrariness and inflexibility of the Federal bureaucracy," the statement concluded.