Classical Players Relight Old Flame for Show Next Term

Nero started the fire that burned Rome down--that's the story that went around--but actually you can put the blame on a sweet little courtesan named Phoenicium, to be played by Brooks Emmons, Radcliffe '50, in "Pseudolus," this year's Latin play.

Harvard and Radcliffe Classical Players schedule their production of T. Maccius Plautus's ribald comedy, which was first played in 191 A.D., for March 2, 3, and 4 in Agassiz Theater.

Flushed with their success with "Miles Gloriosus" last spring, the Classical Players are bent on making Latin plays an annual tradition.

This year's play, in the same vein as last year's, is about a young gentleman (Robert W. Kratz '50) in love with Phoenicium, who is owned by a procurer (John E. Rexine '51). But the young man doesn't have enough money to buy her, and, to make matters worse, a Persian soldier has already made a down payment on her in accordance with the Roman "lay away" plan.

So the frustrated lover secures the help of a crafty slave, who eventually guides the plot to a suitable ending. The slave's name is Pseudolus, which is also the title of the play and means "the confidence man." Albert L. Borowitz '51, who took the lead last year, too, plays the part.

Also good roles in the play are First Prostitute (Barbara Carlson, Radcliffe '50), Second Prostitute (Barbara Kinno, Radcliffe '50) and Third Prostitute (Marilyn Bradley, Radcliffe '51). The rest of the cast includes David Latimore '52, George L. Mulhurn '51, Paul T. Broneer '51, Edward J. Bell '52, and Joseph B. Dallet '51.

The play will be directed by Robert A. Brooks '40, teaching fellow in Classics. Paul W. Eiter '51 will be business manager and design the sets, and Richard E. Lyons '51 will handle the lighting.