Legislators Disapprove Communist Teacher Bill

Conant's Letter to Committee Asks State to Kill Measure; House Opens Debate Monday

The Committee on Constitutional Law of the Massachusetts legislature reported unfavorably today on a bill creating a commission to investigate "the infiltration of Communistic doctrines into the teaching systems in the Commonwealth and to investigate persons who are sympathetic to Communism or its doctrines." The measure comes up for discussion in the House of Representatives Monday.

A letter from President Conant, urging defeat of the proposed bill, was read at the hearing.

Representatives Bernard M. Lally and John J. Concannon of Dorchester are co-authors of the measure, known as House 161. The suggested commission would consist of three Senators, two Representatives, and two members appointed by the governor. When its investigation was completed, it would make "recommendations for legislation to the General Court."

Conant Expresses Views

The hearing, which lasted approximately three hours, was conducted by Senator Charles J. Innes '22 of Suffolk, Committee chairman to whom President Conant's letter was addressed. The letter said in part that the bill was "unnecessary and likely to produce more damage than good."

"Harvard has certainly nothing to conceal. To the best of our knowledge and belief, there are no members of the Communist Party on our staff. Furthermore, I feel certain that there has been and is no infiltration of Communistic doctrines into our teaching; and it is needless to say that Harvard is thoroughly opposed to the doctrines of the Communist Party."

Edward Spiegal, an attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union, attacked the sponsors of the bill for "failing to give a single clue as to whom they would investigate." About 150 opponents of the measure showed up at the hearing, while three supporters were heard.

Both 1948 and 1949 saw bills dealing with Communists in Massachusetts schools. Two years ago, Attorney-General Clarence A. Barnes introduced a measure to penalize Communist teachers and the institutions which hired them. It was defeated in the House.

Last year, a similar bill introduced by Representative Ralph W. Sullivan of Boston passed the House by a voice vote and was defeated in the Senate. Sullivan has suggested that the Lally-Concannon proposal be transferred to the House Committee on Education, of which he is chairman.

More Bills Coming

Two other measures dealing with communism in schools are on the docket of the Education Committee. One, submitted by Representative Paul A. McCarthy of Medfield would "instruct presidents of colleges and schools of the Commonwealth to expel communists or communists sympathizers from their teaching staffs."

The other, offered by Representative Patrick F. Plunkett of Lowell, requires that an oath of allegiance... be taken by professors, instructors, and teachers in colleges, universities, and other schools."