Scrambled Exams

About this time of year, many students have an understandable desire to gaze at copies of old examinations. In order to accommodate these people, Lamont Library procures six copies of every year-old examination and places three copies on one of the shelves in a corner of the first-level smoking room. As these disappear or become tattered, they are replaced by the reserve copies.

This solution to the problem is far from satisfactory. It requires an extraordinary number of papers, and fails even then to ensure that anyone can find the exam he is looking for. In addition, it creates an unsightly rubble pile. Where exam papers are concerned, the only way to keep them in order and in the library is to nail them down, chain them to the wall, or put them safely out of reach.

The last alternative has a good deal to recommend it. If one copy of each exam were posted in the Lamont display cases, the library staff would no longer have to worry with six copies, the janitor would not have the present mess to clean up, and the architect could have the satisfaction of knowing that his gleaming cases are being put to good use. If the Philatelic Society can find time to put up the stamps which are now on exhibition, the library staff could surely find time to display examinations, especially since there are more examinees in the College than philatelists.