Navy to Give Reply on NSA Loyalty Query

Charge That Loyalty Oaths at Other Colleges Differ from Harvard's Draws Navy Cheek

The Navy yesterday promised to report to the CRIMSON on the National Student Association's statement that not all NROTC loyalty oaths are the same as Harvard's. In addition the Bureau of Naval Personnel said it would report on the possibility of any changes in the basic form of the oath.

NSA's statement, as well as a resolution that the loyalty oath "in the form it is now administered at Harvard. . . should be revised and restricted security," emerged from a vacation meeting of the NSA executive committee in Madison, Wisconsin.

In Washington yesterday the Bureau of Naval Personnel declined immediate comment on the NSA's statement but said it would issue its report on the loyalty oath to the CRIMSON "in a few days."

Oath Not from Washington

Captain Carroll T. Bonney head of the College unit, said yesterday that copies of the Harvard oaths were not sent from Washington but came from the Boston First Naval District headquarters.

Bonney explained that the Navy sends instructions to each unit as to the content of the oath and that each unit then issued its own oath. Bonney said he believes that the Boston-Harvard oath "meets all Navy stipulations."

But the NSA previously reported that the University of North Carolina's oath lacks the so-called "informer clause." and Princeton disclosed that its oath also has no such clause. Robert J. Stern '50, a delegate to the NSA meeting, said he believes Dartmouth NROTC students signed a different form of oath and that University of Louisville NROTC students never signed one at all.

Yale, however, reported an oath similar to Harvard's including the "informer" clause.