Stompers Have Brought Basin Street to College

By Edward J. Coughlin

Back in the days when the Crimson Stompers were getting organized, they held their practice jam sessions down on Coolidge Hill Road behind Stillman Infirmary at the home of Charles H. Taylor, professor of History. And they had a cornetist sitting in with the band whose playing Walter H. Gifford, Jr. '52, drummer and manager of the group, describes as a "mean cornet a la Max Kaminsky." The horn-player's name was Sargent Kennedy '28, Registrar of Harvard College.

During the summer of 1948, Gifford went to a musicians' hangout in his home town of Washington, D. C., and met a heavy dark-haired young trombonist-pianist named Laurence J. Eanet '52. It didn't take long for them to discover two important facts about each other--that they were both starting at Harvard as freshmen that fall, and that they both loved Dixieland jazz.

It was quite natural that, when they came up to Cambridge in September, the two started shopping around for enough men to fill out a little "amusement only" jazz ensemble. Friends told them about a fine guitar player who was a junior at the time--David Sutherland '50, who is now at the Law School. And then there were three.

"Through the College grapevine" they heard about a fine young clarinetist, Oliver S. Taylor '53, Professor Taylor's son, who was then attending the Belmont Hill School. They found that Taylor was not only enthusiastic about joining their group, but that he could also recommend a good trumpeter, a Milton Academy boy named Bruce Elwell. (Elwell, relatively young and inexperienced compared to the others, has since moved on to Rollins College in Florida).

The unit was rounded out by the addition of two classmates, bassist Herbert Levin '52 and pianist Hoagie Dunham '52.

Proving Ground

They used to go down to Taylor's home evenings and shake the house with their practice sessions. "The Taylors' was a proving ground for our band," Gifford explains. "We really started to play well in ensemble there." During this period Kennedy enjoyed going to the house at night to sit with the boys.

They started to make trips to the Savoy on Massachusetts Avenue to listen to trumpeter "Red" Allen and the Searsdale (New York) High School sensation, clarinetist Bob Wilbur. After a time, when they became known at the Savoy, they woud climb up on the stand and take over the nightclub.

One night Dunham showed up with a girl who could sing. He had met Barbara Leacock, Wellesley '51, on a blind date. The good-looking brunette had a voice that pleased Dunham's fellow musicians and she became a featured vocalist on the band's College engagements during the following year. They put on two concerts in the Lowell House Junior Common Room and broadcast Monday nights.

Union Was Watching

The day before they played at the Freshman Smoker, the entire group trooped down to join the musicians' union, because New Orleans clarinetist Edmond Hall was coming out from the Savoy to play with them "and the union was watching us like a hawk." Shortly afterwards they played for the Radcliffe freshmen at Agassiz Hall, where they were paid off in rye smuggled in by an admiring Cliffe girl.

Last year the band started off at the Savoy with the trumpet played by 20-year-old. Tufts graduate Paul Gibson, whom Gifford calls "the best jazz trumpeter this side of New York." Then they branched out. They went twice to Smith College (Gifford is carried away by the memory where 200 girls in sweat shirts and dungarees sat in a semicircle and shrieked for the real oldtimers like "Coal Cart Blues" (an Armstrong standby). And they found another faculty supporter in Roy Lamson, Jr. '29 clarinet-playing professor of Sociology at Williams.

They played the college circuit from a house party at Dartmouth to a performance in a baseball cage at a Spring Country Fair at Wesleyan in Middletown, Connecticut. Sandwiched in between were a number of Monday night sessions at the Savoy with bands led by Hall, trombonistsc Vic Dickenson, and pianist Joe Sullivan.