Tough Defense Is Strongest Feature Of Jayvee Eleven

Lining Them Up

By Herbert S. Meyers

A jayvee football player can be identified by his uniform, which is invariably the dirtiest on the practice field. This is an occupational disease, and stems from the jayvee's function as farm team and doormat for the varsity.

Occasionally, however, the Jayvees have games of their own. There are six of them this year, and the 40-man squad is now preparing for its first encounter Friday, with Leicester Junior College.

Perhaps "preparing" is the wrong word. Yesterday's practice was a typical example of the rigorous schedule the jayvees go through. It started at 4 p.m. with the linemen working out against each other and the backfield having a ball-handling drill. After about an hour. Coach Norm Shepard yelled, "Okay!" The players put on their fiercest expressions and ran over to the varsity practice field, where they played defense against various teams until 5:40 p.m.

Shepard, who is starting his first year as jayvee coach here. Is also varsity basketball coach and has previously coached football at North Carolina, Gullford, Randolph-Macon, and Davidson. Mindful of the team's preparation so far this year, Shepard points out that "the defense should be pretty good."

However, he is not pessimistic about the season. "The team is working very hard, shows good spirit, and will be ready for that first game," he said after yesterday's gruelling practice in the rain.

According to Shepard, the team will work exclusively from a winged T with an unbalanced line, using many Varsity plays. Bill Kierstead, a quarterback from last year's freshman team, will start in the key ball-handling spot and will be supported in the backfield by Lou Tsavaris at left half, John Ingraham at right half and Bob Kendall at fullback. Tsavaris, a top quarter-miler in the spring, appears to be the most dependable runner of this group and will be counted on for a lot of yardage against Leicester. Howie Finney, one of '53's best scatbacks, will be held in reserve, but should handle the major share of the Jayvee's passing burden.

The line averages close to 190, and is made up entirely of sophomores and juniors. Art Rohu and George Mullen will be on the flanks, John Hickey and Tom Gill at tackles, Joe Shaw and Dave Hanson at guards, and Bill Monteith, the lightest man, at center. It might not be the fastest line in college football this year, but the varsity will attest to the fact that it is pretty solid.