'54 Football Team Plays Brandeis; Jayvees Smash Leicester J.C., 54-0

Norm Shepard's first venture as jayvee football coach was a complete success yesterday when his charges, despite recent injuries, ran away from a helpless Leicester Junior College opponent. The score was 54 to 0.

The Maroon and Gold were never expected to be in the game, and they didn't disappoint. Leicester fielded a fairly heavy and very slow squad that showed no effective offensive or defensive end play, no passing ability, no pass defense, and a pathetic lack of conditioning.

From the quarterback position, lefty Bill Kierstead was the principal trouble-shooter in the Crimson attack. Standing cooly behind a excellent screen of protection, Kierstead whipped out three touchdown spot passes in the opening period and scored himself in the third quarter with a 25-yard solo filight on an interception.

The first and third touchdowns, scored on jump passes into the right flat from Kierstead to Fritz Drill, were set up through short runs by Bill Van Epps, who consistently broke over the weak side tackle and made that best of fair downfield blocking. A wobbling pass from Howie Finney to Art Rohn made it 26 to 0 at the half.

Late in the third period, after Kierstead's run, Harvard took the ball on downs deep in Leicester territory. Van Epps was cut inside guard on a quick-opener and ran over almost untouched.

After a safety had added two points in the final period, Tom Kelly took a short pass from Finney to the five, and set up a quarterback sneak for the score. A short end run by George Yazejian in the closing minutes made it 54 to 0.