Brandeis Whips '54 Eleven; Yard Team Takes First Loss

Brandeis University's football team beat the freshman eleven here Saturday, 21 to 13, taking advantage of generally poor freshman blocking to stop the Crimson offense dead. It was the freshmen's first loss.

A sharp Blue and White passing and running attack piled up yardage as the Crimson, hampered by the early loss of two-way right end Harvey Popell, tried high tackles and one-arm grabs in a futile attempt to stop the Brandeis runners.

Only Dick Clasby and John Tulenko played anything like their usual games. Tulenko played well in the defensive secondary and later at safety. He capped his work by taking a kickoff and running 98 yards for the final Crimson touchdown.

Clasby Punts Well

Clasby scored the other touchdown on a 40 yard sprint, besides stopping Brandeis runs all afternoon. His punting got the freshmen out of serious trouble three times.

The Brandeis team, despite the many Yardling mistakes, was clearly the better club. The line outcharged the freshmen all the way, and the backfield looked sharper, especially on pitchouts. Quarterback Dick Cunningham passed well throughout most of the game. Three times he was trapped but managed to squirm away for good gains.

Sid Goldfader, big fullback, scored twice. He picked up a fumble by Dick Collins on the Yardling ten yard line and went over at 3:51 of the second period. Bill Marsh converted to give Brandeis a 7 to 0 lead, which lasted till half-time, despite John Culver's recovery of a Brandeis fumble on the Blue and White nine. A Yardling fumble two plays later killed this chance.

Tie Score in Third Quarter

Clasby's run and Warren O'Donnell's conversion at 9:09 of the third quarter tied the game, but the Blue and White, led by Goldfader and Cunningham, staged a 52-yard march, capped by Goldfader's plunge from the one. Marsh again converted.

The Yardlings took the kickoff and drove down to the Brandeis 15 before they lost the ball on downs. A couple of fine pass plays from John King to end Ed Kennedy sparked this march.