University Staff May Enter Social Security Program

Over 9,000 permanent and temporary University staff members will come under Social Security January 1, if a two-third majority favors the idea, John W. Teele, director of personnel reported yesterday. Employees of non-profit, tax-exempt organizations were not covered by Social Security until this summer when Congress extended the provisions of the act.

Further clarification of the new law being awaited now by Teele's office, but he expects to schedule the needed election sometime next month. No one is certain yet of the status of student employees of the University in the voting, as students are not eligible for Social Security benefits.

Teele divides the staff effected into three categories the over 2,000 faculty members, the more than 4,000 regular employees such as secretaries and dining hall help, and finally the approximately 3,000 "casual" employees of the University who may work, for example, in the H.A.A. ticket office just one or two days during an entire year.

Early Benefits

Especially for persons who are with the University for a short time, the new system will be of value, Teele explained. Primary benefits ranging up to $80 a month would go to persons, retiring at 65 after a minimum year and one-half of payments. No employee can participate in the University pension plan until he has completed three years service.

Employees and the University would equally contribute three percent to the government, if Social Security goes into effect here. Employee payments into the University pension plan were reduced from four to three percent on July 1.

A University plan for faculty members involves larger payments by both parties. The teachers new contribute five percent of their salary and would add one and one-half percent of their salary for Social Security up to a maximum of $54.