'Red' Teacher List Killed by City Solicitor

By Philip M. Cronin

City Solicitor John A. Daly said yesterday that the "Reducators" list which names GS faculty members as "Communists, Communists Sympathizers, or fellow travelers" cannot, under libel laws, legally be copied and given to the nine City Councillors and the Chief of Police.

City Councillor John D. Lynch who first motioned for the list's distribution stated that "after I get the opinion at Monday's council meeting, I will look into the matter more carefully. But since Daly in a good lawyer, I think he is probably rights."

Lynch Continues Drive

Lynch said, however, that he would not stop legislation directed against Communist activities. "I'm taking action against them, all the time, and I Won't stop now."

Clerk of Committees Forest Gould receive the opinion. He had asked, following Lynch's motion, whether the list could be legally copied. It would be Gould's duty to see that the copies get into the hands of the councillors and police chief.

Daly's replay, delayed for four weeks, said that the city would be subject to court action if the list were given to the public by the councillors.

City Hall officials say that this opinion officially ends any action on the "Reducators" list. Daly, however, did not give an opinion in Lynch's Communist registration bull which the council passed by a vote of 7 to 2.