The Path to Public Service at SEAS

Should Supreme Court Justices Have Term Limits? That ‘Would Be Fine,’ Breyer Says at Harvard IOP Forum

Harvard Right to Life Hosts Anti-Abortion Event With Students For Life President

Harvard Researchers Debunk Popular Sleep Myths in New Study

Journalists Discuss Trump’s Effect on the GOP at Harvard IOP Forum

Scholarships Hit New High

Not since the war has the College spent so much money on scholarships as it did this year. But F. Skiddy von Stade '38, chairman of the Committee on Scholarships, said yesterday that the total expenditure of $580,000 "will have to be increased if we are to carry on the scholarship program satisfactorily."

More men applied for freshman awards than were admitted to the Class of 1954. The College received 1230 applications for scholarships, but was able to award funds to only 300 students. Seven hundred upperclassmen received the remaining scholarships.

Awards Fluctuate

"Many upperclassmen have complained that their stipulations were cut for this year," said von Stade. He explained that the Committee "did reduce some awards where lack of achievement warrented such action, but many men received a boost in their scholarship."

At Commencement the Class of 1925 donated $50,000 for scholarships. Most of this gift was to be allocated to students who show prowess in athletics and other non-scholastic affairs and who meet the College's regular entrance requirements.