Freshmen Succumb, 21-0, to Dartmouth; Army Jayvees Trample Crimson, 41-0

3 Intercepted Passes Lead to Green TD's

By Hiller B. Zobel

The freshman football team literally played into the enemy's hands Saturday, when it lost to Dartmouth, 21 to 0. All three of the Green touchdowns resulted from pass interceptions; the other score was a safety. The Yardlings have now lost twice, after as opening victory over Andover.

Coach Henry Lamar summed up the game in one phrase; "What can you say?" he asked. The Crimson had the superior offense eight first downs to five-but Dartmouth got the breaks, and never recovered. Four minutes after the opening kickoff the Yardlings seemed on their way to score as John Culver recovered a Dartmouth fumble on the Green 41 yard line. But a subsequent clipping penalty moved the ball back to the Yardling 39, and on the next play Tom Malcolm intercepted a John King pass on the 30 and went on to score.

The Yardlings, sparked by Brian Reynolds' running, started to move right after the next kickoff. But with the ball on the Crimson 34, another of King's passes was intercepted, this time by Arch Butera, who ran all the way. The time was 7:14.

Drive Falls

With Reynolds and Captain Dick Clasby doing most of the carrying, the Yardlings, then staged a 37-yard march, their longest of the day. But Clasby fumbled on the Dartmouth 36 and the threat fizzled. Clasby and King were both hurt during the final quarter, but neither the nature nor the extent of their injuries was revealed.

The third Dartmouth touchdown, at 14 minutes of the second quarter, resulted from an interception by Stan Clark and a 16-yard plunge by Mike Lynch. Frank Caswell missed the kick, to make the score 19 to 0. The Green picked up two additional points when Gerry O'Nell whose brother is a Crimson varsity quarterback--nailed Clasby in the end zone at 14:50 of the third quarter