Lamont Enjoying Wider Popularity

With, fewer students in College now than in any year that Lamont has been open, the undergraduate library is busier than it has over been.

"Perhaps the pressure of the draft has influenced more people to study harder, giving them hope that refuge can be found on Dean's List," Philip J. McNiff, Lamont Librarian, said yesterday.

"Or perhaps newer students are developing the habit of studying in the library rather than in their rooms. Whatever the reason, the traffic in Lamont is gratifying," he added.

Even before the first rush of hour exam preparation, there is a five percent increase in the number of books borrowed over the corresponding period of last year.

McNiff pointed out, "More people are asking members of the staff for information, and by doing so, more people are probably finding the library of greater value."

Misdemeanors Decrease

"There also seems to be a general sense of responsibility and pride," aid McNiff. He explained that this was shown by the fact that the number of misdemeanors this year is "surprisingly low."

Lamont has in part relieved the temptation of book theft by placing a large number of frequently used texts on the closed reserved shelves.