Present Council Will Retire Early If New Charter Passes

The present Student Council voted last night to dissolve itself in February so that future councils can be elected in December and serve from February to February.

Before it can do this, however, its constitution thus revised must be ratified by the student body on November 15.

The group's decision to leave office early followed a change in the charter made last week under which future councils would serve from February to February. Until the move was made last night, it was not known whether the change would go into effect this fall r text.

New, if two-thirds of the students who vote on November 15 approve the offered constitution, a new council will be elected this December.

Working with speed, the council also approved two motions dealing with cumulative credits and parental rules before it turned to its constitutional problems.

First, it recommended that if a student was drafted after having completed ten weeks of a half-curse, he should have the right, provided he could give two week's notice, to ask his professor to assign him a special paper or exam, on the basis of which he might receive credit for the course.

On parental rules, the council appointed a three-man group to work with Faculty Committee on Houses in an effort to solve the problem of providing low-cost entertainment for students and their dates after 8 p.m. on weekends.

Committee Membership

This committee consists of Reger V. Pugh '51, Louis McCagg '52, and Donald L. M. Blackmer '52.

Under the terms of another constitutional change last night, House committees will have the right to nominate candidates for the Student Council. These men, like all other candidates, will have to circulate petitions for signature before they will be eligible to run.

Council elections in the future will continue under a system of preferential rather than straight (X) ballots.