Varsity Practice Emphasizes Blocks

1st, 3rd Teams Play: Full Squad Readied For Indians' Attack

The football team worked long and guard on its blocking and then went through a semi-live scrimmage yesterday as Coach Lloyd Jordan storied preparations for the Crimson's fifty-fourth meeting with Dartmouth in the Stadium Saturday.

Barring injuries incurred during this week's practice sessions, the squad figures to be at or near full strength when the Indians, who have also failed to win a game this season, hit Cambridge. Correll Lowenstein took part in yesterday's contact workout and is all set to go; Jerry Kanter, first string offensive left guard, was kicked in the hip bone in the Army game and did not scrimmage. Both he and Duke Sedgwick, offensive tackle, are expected to be ready later in the week. The latter was also limited to non-contact exercise yesterday's.

Wylie Scrimmages

Warren Wylie scrimmaged yesterday for the first time since the Columbia game and, unless he aggravates his injured knee this week, will be fit to resume his wingback and safety man jobs Saturday. That leaves only Bill Healey, tailback, and Don Cass, an end, on the disabled list, and one or both of them may be all right by game time.

After running against the offensive dummy machine, hitting regular dummies and the Crowther apparatus, the first and second teams tested their passing and ground games against the third team. Jerry Blitz worked at wingback in the first backfield with Johnny West, Phil Isenberg, and Lowenstein. Bob Fallon took Kanter's place at guard, teaming with Bill Rosenau. Bob Stargel, sophomore tackle who started against Columbia and has not played since because of a bruised ankle, scrimmages with the second team and should be able to go against the Indians. As in the case of Wylie, it is now a question of timing.

The offensive dummy machine had not been used since pre-season practices. While the varsity was running its offense against it, the defensive "line" looked great. It didn't give an inch.