Charities Drive Will Begin Tuesday, Committee Lists Eight Major Funds

The Combined Charities Drive opens Tuesday, when solicitors begin knocking on doors for contributions. Chairman Robert P. Hyde '51 announced last night that eight charities had been chosen from a list of 64 applicants for "their effective use of funds and the worthiness of their projects."

They are Phillips Brooks House, Salzburg Seminar, American Friends Service Committee, Boston Children's Hospital, Boston Community fund, National Scholarship and Service Fund for Negro Students, CARE, and the Damon Runyon Cancer Fund.

The list thus embraces school, local, national, and international charities.

The Student Council, which conducted its own drive at registration, will not receive 20 percent of the charities money--as it did last year. Hyde added that a separate space will be left blank for donors to write in other recognized charities that are not on the list.

Unallocated Fund

Any contribution that is not specifically earmarked will go to an unallocated fund and be used if emergencies arise during the year. If a balance remains in June, it will be divided among the eight listed charities in the same ratio as the assigned donations.

The Boston Community Fund, included on the Charities card, is the university-wide Red Feather Drive. Representatives from every department of the college met yesterday to lay plans for this phase of the collection.