Eleven Concentrates on Pass Defense

Team Bucks Jayvees, Freshmen in Heavy Running Offensive

Both freshmen and jayvee squads were thrown against the varsity yesterday, as Coach Lloyd Jordan prepared his ground attack and pas defense for the Dartmouth game.

Henry Lamar's Yardlings acted as defensive scapegoats for the varsity's running game. With halfbacks Phil Isenberg and Dave Warden working on pass defense, the offensive plays were handled by fullbacks John West and Tom Osaman and halfbacks Jerry Blitz, Bobby Ray, and Bill Healey.

Both Blitz and Healey shook loose for several long gainers. It was the first heavy running Healey had done since his pre season injury.

While Jordan ran new plays against the freshmen, Norm Shepard's jayvees simulated the passing attack of Dartmouth's Johnny Clayton, complete with Clayton's bootleg specialty. The varsity's defensive secondary had Isenberg and Buddy Lemay as backerups, Dusty Burke and Warden as halfbacks, and Red Wylie at the safety.

No Back Lineups

Warden has had to play two-way ball most of the time, but with Wylie off the injured list and sophomore Blitz improving rapidly, the senior wingback will probably be used more on defensive.

Jordan has not yet set his backfield lineups, but it seems certain that both Ray and Blitz, two of the fastest men on the squad, will see a good deal of action Saturday.

Guard Jerry Kanter, who was bruised in the Army game, did not scrimmage yesterday, but should be ready for Dartmouth. Now that Wylie, Healey, and Stargel are running again, the varsity is in the bet physical shape it has been all season.