Bunche Asked That College Not Disclose Teaching Post

International Situation May Keep U.N. Official From Coming Here

Ralph J. Bunche, whose appointment as professor of government was announced by the University yesterday, may not be able to teach hero next fall when his leave of absence expires. Although the corporation voted the appointment January 16, and the Board of Overseers confirmed it April 10, the University withheld the information at Bunche's request.

Bunche felt that his position in the United Nations might be hurt were it known he had already accepted a post elsewhere. Members of the government department also considered that, with the international situation worsening, he might not be able to take the new job.

With his installment slated to take place July 1. The University was ready to announce Bunche's appointment immediately, Rupert Emerson '22, professor of government, said last night. "But lie asked us to postpone the announcement," Emerson added.

Indicated Willingness

In New York Bunche said yesterday; "It is true that Harvard University last winter took action on my appointment and that I had indicated a willingness to accept such an appointment tat a future date, bearing in mind, however, my deep interest in, my responsibilities to, and my work with the United Nations. I am not prepared at this time to be more precise with regard to this matter. . ."

When he does take over his professorship--the chair vacated by Payson S. Wild, Jr., two years ago-Bunche will teach in the field of international relations.

"He and I have discussed his schedule in a general way," Professor Emerson said, "and intend to get together later on" It is certain new that Bunche is to teach Government 170 (International Law) in September. He has also expressed an interest in colonial administration, and will give instruction and do research in that field.

Received Nobel Peace Prize

The 45-year-old United nations official, who received an honorary degree from the University in 1949, is at present Di- rector of the Division of Trusteeships in the Secretariat. He achieved world-wide fame and the Nobel Peace Prize for his work, 1948-9, as U.N. mediator in the Palestins dispute, a post he took over on the death of Geunt Floke-Bernadotte.

This will not be the first time that he has a teaching position. Before the war he was professor and head of the Political Science Department at Howard University, Washington, DC., and before that he taught at the university of California.

Born in Detroit, Michigan, Bunche graduated from the University of California and received both his Master of Arts and Doctor of Philosophy degrees here. He was an officer in the office of Strategic Services during the last war, becoming chief of the African section in 1943. In 1944 he entered the Department of State and later became Chief of the Division of Dependent Area Affairs.

Daughter is 'Cliffe Freshman

The first member of his race over to hold a professorship on the College Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Bunche has a daughter, Jean, now a Radcliffe freshman. She said last night that she has been unable to contact her father yesterday and that, though she had heard rumors, she had known nothing of his appointment.JEAN BUNCHE '54 said last night that she had known nothing of her father's appointment as professor of government here until yesterday, when the University officially released the information.