Varsity Practices Defense For Clayton's Pass Attack

Johnny Clayton, of Dartmouth, is a man to be respected when it comes to forward passing a football. The Crimson coaching staff recognizes this, and yesterday it had its men spend a considerable period of time-defending against passes thrown by various junior varsity players.

Granted that jayvee-thrown passes do not have the accuracy of Clayton thrown passes, the live workout did serve the purpose of ironing out defensive assignments against a Dartmouth type offense. Red Wylie was the safety man, Dusty Burke and Dave Warden the halves, Phil Iseaberg, reported a bruised back following Monday's practice and was under observation yesterday.

Running Session'

Simultaneously with the defensive drill the varsity sent its own offense against another jayvee contingent and then against the freshmen. This session was devoted mainly to running; Jerry Blitz and Bob Ray drove hard against some stiff resistance and Bill Healey, the recently returned tailback, ran at full tilt, although e is still behind on his assignments. Jerry Kanter, who injured his hip bone during the Army game, was still unable to scrimmage and it new appears that his ailment may be more serious than was originally believed. If Kanter is not ready to play Saturday, his offensive left guard position will probably be filled by Bob Fallon.