Day by Day

Macbeth (Re-release)

Orson Welles can never keep his left-tinted ideology clear of his work. this is no exception. Welles' Scots mutter dialectical materialism through their scraggly beards, and he has cluttered up Shakespeare's often excellent plot with a large amount of irrelevant detail. To top everything off, Welles has introduced a comic gravedigger and a moving forest. Stay clear of this one; it is at Boston's Copley Theatre.

The Queen of Spades

This documentary was originally filmed by the U.S. Signal Corps in 1944. It tells the story of a single B-24 in its raid on the Ploesti oil fields, and of the thrilling escape of the plane's crew after it is shot down unintentionally by Yugoslav anti-aircraft batteries. This has some of the best Technicolor action shots to come out of the war. It is at the Exeter in Boston.

The Glass Menagerie

M. G. M. has taken Tennessee William's comedy and faithfully translated it into celluloid. Marion Brando's screamingly funny performances on Broadway is here duplicated by the antics of Kirk Douglas; and Jane Wyman, as William's limping heroine, gets her own share of laughs. Gertrude Lawrence's characterization of a fading southern belle however, while funny, cannot come up to the standard set by Douglas. "The Admiral was a Lady," with this at Boston's Metropolitan Theatre is nearly as good.

Mystery Street

Harvard Square has a man to about Harvard Square, in "Mystery Street" at the Square' University Theatre. A history of the Cantab's Department of Legal Medicine, it stars Ricardo Montalban as a Boston detective who steps in and cleans up a murder when the Crimson crime-steppers are befuddled.

The murder involves the death of a Boston taxi-dancer, killed by her husband when she is caught cavorting with one of the Harvard medics. The legal Doctors take upon themselves to clear up their own scandal but they are faced with a blank wall until Boston Police--ably led by Montalban step in to pull them out.

There are some fine scenes of the Harvard campus and Cape Cod is this movie and it is a shining example of how good a low budget picture can be. This hasn't been at the Nugget yet as don't miss it.