Green Blanks Jayvees, 38-0, Capitalizes on Weak Defense

Playing without an adequate defense and with no notable offense, the Jayvee football team lost decisively to Dartmouth, 38 to 0.

Only for one period--the first--was there any question of the ultimate outcome. Once the Indian attack got rolling, the out manned Crimson eleven could do nothing but slow it up. The Green scored two touchdowns per period for the final three quarters.

Bill Murphy was the outstanding man in the Green backfield. Taking over for starting quarter Jim Churchill shortly after the game began, Murphy displayed a good deal of ball handling skill, passing for three touchdowns and setting up another with a bootleg pass play that netted 20 yards.

Sloppy Ball Handling

At no time during the course of the game did the Crimson offense cross the enemy 20 yard line. This failure was not necessarily due to the lack of hard running, but rather to sloppy ball handling. Crimson backs were frequently trapped behind the line, and on other occasions when they did reach open ground, the ball looked like a Mexican jumping bean.

Hardy Cox and Bill Kierstead split the quarterbacking chores for Norm Shepard's eleven. It was the first appearance for Cox with the Jayvees, and the 5'9" quarterback did not have the blocking he needed to prove his capabilities.

Although the Crimson line was very weak, the largest portion of the Dartmouth yardage was picked up around ends. When the defense spread to prevent the end runs, the Green would turn to either the bootleg play ending with a pass, or a simple buck over center, usually good for five or six yards.

Dartmouth lost to the Brown jayvees last week by a 33 to 7 score. The Crimson will meet Brown in two weeks.