Waban Wench Weighs Harvard Against Hanover; Sees Green

By Betey Busch

They say no girl ever forgets her first Winter Carnival, and they certainly are right. The idea of having Dartmouth men around again really brings back my first Carnival, and the wonderful weekend I spent in Hanover.

The thing that stands out about that weekend was how relaxed everybody was. Harvard cocktail parties are very nice in a more or less "reserved" way, but they don't lot themselves loose the way Dartmouth men do. As soon as I got off the train in White River Junction, I felt right at home. I started out on the wrong foot" by asking my date if I was going to play at a hotel, but everybody was so kind a friendly and informal that they all just laughed, and I knew that every thing I had heard about Dartmouth must be true.

When I got back to Wellesley after my year abroad this fall I discovered that Harvard just didn't have it. A typical Harvard ate that you to a football game, to a cocktail party after the game, to a Boston restaurant like Looke Obers for dinner, sometimes, and then to his fraternity or a movie in Cambridge. Not that I don't "date" Harvard boys, but a Harvard weekend can be sort of dull compared to some I've been on. They say a lot of things about Harvard boys, although I don't really believe most of them. Some Harvard boys are just a nice as can be, but it takes a Dartmouth boy to really bring out my "sprit."

I almost forget to mention one thing. Harvard men think they are "Began Brummels," but they should go to a Winter. Carnival to really learn how to dress. I've never been so breathless in my life as when I saw all those browned Dartmouth men in their wonderful fuzzy green sweaters and those trim blazer instead of a ordinary jacket any day.