Heavy Turn-Out Marks Fall Crew

Of all the College's available varsity crew candidates, only the members of last season's first boat aren't paddling along the Charles these afternoons.

The varsity veterans of last year's long campaign were granted a ten-day reprieve by Coach Tom Bolles because they put in better than two week's worth of rowing during the summer while in training for and rowing the Henley Grand Challenge Cup Races.

Five heavy boats, a generous fall turnout, are working on the River this week. Among the 45 men manning these boats is the entire freshman crew of last year which lost only its first race.

Practice at this stage of crew workouts consists of the boats rowing to the Cottage Farm Bridge each day with constantly changing combinations in the shells.

A race with M.I.T. and the Union Boat Club is scheduled for about three weeks from today. No ex-varsity men from either of the schools, however, will row in the crews. Tech was the only beat which beat the Crimson last year, after losing to the Harvard eight in two earlier races.