'54 Eleven Beats Andover For First Time Since 1947

The backs had a good day, as the team racked up 14 first downs. Dick Clasby scored the second touchdown on a 47-yard run in the last quarter. Trappedbehind his own line, Clasby took advantage of good blacking to break out into the open. He outraced the secondary, straight-armed the Andover safety man, and sped down the sideline for the score.

John Culver, the big fullback, played well, said Lamar. Culver set up the first score with a ten-yard plunge from the Andover eleven, then went over on the next play. Lamer also landed reserve tailback John Tulonko for hard running and good defensive play. He commented that King called plays well.

Led by Bill Frate, Dave McDowell, Pete Simonds, and Fred Horween, the line hit hard to bottle up the Andover running attack. The only way the Blue could advance consistently was on pitchouts, end sweeps, and short passes. Andover's score came on a pitchout and pass play with two minutes remaining in the game. But by the time, the freshmen had a 13 to 9 lead.

A freshman football team best Andover Saturday for the first time in three years, and Coach Henry Lamar afterwards made no attempt to conceal his pleasure at the 13 to 7 score.

Praises Popell

"Two things, particularly, impressed me," he said. "One was the fact that the team played well as a unit, even though it has only been practicing for two weeks. The other was the squad's spirit. "The boys never gave up, and they held Andover punt in the second period to give the Yardlings their first scoring chance. In the ensuing series at plays, end Bill McCourt made a brilliant diving catch of a 27-yard pass from John King to bring the Ball to the Andover 28. At that point, however, Hal Higgins intercepted a King pass on the five to halt the Yardling drive.