They Need You

This year, for the first time, the Combined Charities Drive is just that. Though the drive is still run by the Student Council, that body no longer takes an automatic twenty percent cut of the proceeds, nor dares the student to deprive it of its share.

Gone are the small-print clauses; there remains a list of eight charities, chosen by the drive committee, which are only superficially obscured by a large pink veritas shield. The committee reports that it chose these charities carefully, basing its decision mainly on the percentage of its income which the organization devotes to actual charity work, as opposed to publicity.

There are only two student groups listed among the eight: Phillips Brooks House and the Salzburg Seminar, both peculiar to Harvard. But three of the other charities provide direct benefits to students, including the Red Feather community fund, which last year provided over $17,000 for medical expenses of Harvard students in Boston hospitals.

The only defect in this year's edition of the pledge card is the inadequate space for listing "Other Recognized Charities." But the drive committee has used good criteria in making up its own list, there is little room for deviation, and all the money will be spent on genuine charity. Sign Up!