Fifteen Cent Beer Price Threatened!

Cambridge Bars May Follow N.Y.C. Trend

There's a 50 percent rise impending in the cost of drinking.

The traditional ten cent glass of beer in local places of relaxation may very well follow that of New York to a 15-cent bracket, according to local proprietors. At a "publicans guild" meeting in New York City on Tuesday the five cent price boost was voted almost unanimously.

"There is reason to believe," admits John Cronin of Jim Cronin's, "that Massachusetts, being in the same shipping category as New York, may be forced to follow the trend." Cronin explained yesterday that several factors, beyond raised transportation costs for midwestern beverages, could bring about the boost. Primary among these factors, he explained, are 20 percent cuts by the government in agricultural necessities--corn, wheat, and hops--and a reduction in the availability of glass, steel, and tin.

Barkeep's Bible

Cronin produced the latest issue of the Massachusetts Beverage Journal and pointed to the lead editorial, which described the reductions in "our allocation." He added that in many cases during the past war it had been necessary to reduce the size of beer glasses to prevent a raise in price.

"Not only have general wholesale beer prices and operating costs been rising steadily," complained Francis Cardullo, Wursthaus proprietor, "but we've just recently suffered two sharp price boosts. I know I've reached my saturation point." Cardullo added, however, that he was making arrangements to bring back the crockery stein of yore, in order to serve a slightly larger quantity should the 15-cent beer become a reality.