Yale Still Hunts Rowing Trophies Stolen Last Week

Yale campus cops were still looking yesterday for two missing crew trophies stolen from a shelf in Jonathan Edwards College sometime last week. It was rumored at Yale that the University police might make a room to room search of Jonathan Edwards today.

The missing cups, worth $600 and $200 respectively, were the Harkness Cup, a trophy awarded to the winner of the intramural Yale-Harvard crew rivalry, and the Inter-College Cup, given to the champion crew of the Yale intramural program.

The disappearance of both cups was first noticed October 31 but the master of Jonathan Edwards, assuming that he had a prank rather than a theft on his hands, merely posted a notice politely requesting the cups' return.

But Yale's director of Intramural Athletics became sufficiently alarmed to call in the campus cops on the case. The cops felt fairly confident that they could retrieve the missing cups because they were so recognizable that they would be impossible to pawn and melted down, they would bring little cash return.

The Harkness Cup, the more valuable of the two, is an old ornate silver cup of the customary pattern. The Inter-College trophy is a 200 year old tankard.