20-Year Signs Dot College; Return to Claim Property

Small white notices, 83 of them, cropped up all over the College Monday, announcing to anyone who was interested that the land on which they stood was the property of the University.

These signs have appeared on College grounds, periodically since 1824, when a Massachusetts State Law was passed saying open private land could be secured by public notice signifying ownership. Previously, to protect land that was used as a thoroughfare, the owner had to block passage for one day every year.

Without these precautions, the people that use this land with the permission of the owner acquire a vested interest in it after a certain number of years. Thus, Cambridge residents who use the Yard as a short cut to the square, could demand bouches put along the paths, or other additions.

In Massachusetts, these notices must be posted "in a conspicuous place" every 20 years. The last notices appeared on College grounds in December 1930.

Since the last appearance of the signs, many additions and changes have been made. New private streets, the Graduate Center, and property recently acquired by the University have been included.

Lands that are fenced in, recorded in the Land Court, or protected by official "no trespassing" signs do not need such notices for protection.

In ten years, the land controlled by the Business School will be planted with similar signs.