New Recorder to Greet T. S. Eliot

T. S. Eliot will be put on a new kind of tape when he lectures on drama here Tuesday.

A $1,000 tape recorder, purchased by the Theatre and Poetry Departments of the University Library and the Summer School last July will record the words of the author of "Wasteland" as well as the other forth-coming Spenser Drama lectures and Gray poetry readings. They will be transferred to discs and added to the collection in the Woodbury Poetry Room in Lamont.

Frederick C. Packard, Jr. '20, associate professor of Public Speaking, said that purchase of the new machine had been planned when the vocarium in Lamont was built, but the Speech Department "couldn't even afford the tape." The Summer School wanted to record certain conferences held here when it was in session, and the Theatre Collection desired waxings of actors who visited the University, so the three Departments pooled their resources to buy a modern machine that would take down an hour long program.

The Theatre Collection here is now the largest in the country. Packard has acquired recordings of such noted performers as Julia Marlowe, great Shakespearian actress who died Sunday in New York, Edwin Booth, and Dame Ellen Terry. He plans to put many sermons on tape as well as speeches by well known men who appear at the University.

When Eliot spoke here two years ago, 200 people waited in vain outside the hall to hear him. Now those who don't get seated will be able to hear the first Spenser lecturer when the record is cut and placed in the files of the Woodbury Room.