Freshman Football Squad Meets Undefeated Purple

For the first time this year, the freshman football team will be a definite underdog when it meets the undefeated Holy Cross freshmen at 1:30 p.m. today on Soldiers Field.

Hop Riopel, Purple coach, claims that his team is still unorganized, but the Crusaders had enough to whip Dartmouth and Yale, and tie Boston College and Colgate. But Riopel's team is used to giving the varsity defensive practice, so the freshmen have to learn a new formation almost every week. As a result, the Holy Cross attack has a little of everything.

Yardling coach Henry Lamar will throw a slightly altered defense against this melange. The line will stay the same, but Bob Gremp will spell John Tulenko at halfback, and Tex Hooten will share the safety duties with Captain Dick Clasby.

Clasby will start at tallback, thanks to a surprisingly rapid recovery of his injured finger. But Lamar will also use Earl Trucker and Hooten in Clasby's passing slot. Clasby and Gremp will take care of the punting.

Passing has been the Yardlings' best weapon all year, with Clasby the chief marksman. But Hooten and Trucker have also shown passing ability in practice. Gremp is also a good passer, and may see some action.

Both the ends, Harvey Popell and Ted Kennedy, and Tulenko, the wingback, are good pass receivers. All have made key catches for the Yardlings this year. Like the rest of the linemen, Kennedy a Popell play on defense, too.

The lineups:

Freshmen: Kennedy, l.e.; Simonds, l.t.; McDowell, l.g.; Coolidge, c.; Picard, r.g.; Frate, r.t.; Popell, r.e.; Caimi, q.b.; Clasby (C), l.h.; Tulenko, r.h., Culver or O'Donnell, f.b.

Holy Cross: Carroll, l.e.; Finn, l.t.; Jennings, l.g.; N. Murphy, c.; Buonopane (C), r.g.; Cooney, r.t.; Gorham, r.e.; Jolie, q.b.; Schiller, l.h.; Biocca, r.h.; Harrington, f.b.