Eli Soccer Team Posts 3-0 Shutout Of Crimson Here

Yale's sustained kick-and-rush offense earned the Elis a 3 to 0 shutout over the Crimson soccer team here yesterday.

Using the same pressing style of play Army exploited in beating the Crimson, Yale effectively smothered Harvard's short passing attack. Left wing Wally Toscanini played brilliantly for the visitors, scoring their second and third goals as his team clinched the New England League championship.

Heavy winds, which pushed many kicks high into the air, continually forced the Crimson to play Yale's game. When Harvard was able to move the ball on the carpet, its attack looked good. Midway through the third period the home team's superior ball handling seemed ready to pay off, but it couldn't stall Yale's sustained drives.

In the first period, the Elis' well-paced attack consistently kept the ball in Crimson territory. The wind-hampered defense led by Charlie Ufford and Humph Doermann, stood up well. Goalie Dick Craven made his greatest number of saves in the quarter, and the Elis were unable to score.

Bill Cordes started them off late in the second frame with a goal that put him in a tie for top scorer in the New England League.

From then on, it was Toscanini's show. His first goal came in the late 50 seconds of the third period when he beat two Harvard defenders and sneaked one through near the left goal post. In the last quarter Toscanini scored again on one of the most beautiful foals of the season.