Elis Support Yale-in-China Despite Communists' Rule

Yale has an equivalent of Harvard Yen-Ching Institute, called Yale-in-China. Like Yen-Ching it is surrounded by a Communist run country but, unlike Yen-Ching, it is completely certain that it will continue to function.

A recent bulletin of the Yale-in-China Association announced that the organization intended "to continue to the best of its ability the service in educational and medical work the Association has rendered the people of China since the founding of Yale-in-China in 1901. . . ."

Apparently Yale-in-China has been able to keep its branches functioning unhindered. As is the case with the Yen-Ching supported universities, the Communists have not yet curtailed any activities of the Yale-in-China schools nor have they attempted political interference.

Yale-in-China's financial and economic stability, in fact, is currently such that parents from all over China want to ship their children to Yale sponsored schools. Other institution have been disrupted in the confusion that followed a change of regime.

Despite the glowing reports of the Yale-in-China Association, Eli undergraduates are suspicious that their money may fall into Communist hands. The students have balked at letting their money be apportioned to YIC in accordance with the percentage assigned on the combined charities cards used in the Yale fund drive.

Edward H. Auchincloss, chairman of the drive, provided a system of "special designation" for contributers who didn't want to drive to charities they considered insecure.

Chaos and violence should be nothing new to Yale-in-China workers. Founded in 1901, YIC survived the 1911 revolution and prospered during the civil wars of the twenties which ultimately resulted in Chiang Kai-Shek's ascent to power.

YIC's branches are mostly in central China, where it operates several secondary schools, a hospital school, and a nursing school. In Hsiang Ya, it sponsors a medical center which is one of the key medical institutions in China.