Lowenstein Will Lead Football Team in 1951

Isenberg 'Most Valuable'

And a little child shall lead them. Thirty varsity football lettermen yesterday elected Carroll Martin Lowenstein '52, of Malden and the Varsity Club, captain of the 1951 team. The backfield monopolized all the honors, for at the same time the lettermen voted to award the Frederick Greeley Crocker memorial plaque for the most valuable player to their outgoing captain, Phillip Louis Isenberg '51, of Hartford and Winthrop House.

Lowenstein is probably the smallest man ever to captain a Harvard team. He is five feet eight inches tall and weighs 151 pounds. The 21-year-old junior is also one of the leading forward passers in the East. In addition to doing almost all the punting this season, Lowenstein paced the Harvard offense by completing 61 of the 129 passes he attempted for a total of 910 yards and eight touchdowns.

Exclusively on Offense

Used exclusively on offense, Lowenstein started the season as quarterback in Coach Lloyd Jordan's winged-T attack, shifting to left halfback midway in the year when the Crimson took up the single-wing.

Harvard's seventy-fourth captain of football, Lowenstein quarterbacked and captained his freshman team in 1948. Used sparingly in 1949-his first varsity season because of his size and because Art Valpey had two good tailbacks and a fine quarterback, Lowenstein made his varsity debut when an emergency developed during the Army game. He has been a varsity letterman for the past two years.

From Malden

Lowenstein was a three-sport star at Malden High School and the Huntington School in Boston. In 1947, he was graduated from Malden, where he participated in football, basketball, and baseball and was named to the 1946 all-scholastic eleven. He attended Huntington for one year prior to entering Harvard.

Crocker Award

The Crocker award was established in the spring of 1949 by a group of former Crimson football players in honor of the 155-pound end on the 1933 team who was killed during the war while serving on a destroyer. It goes to that varsity letterman who, in the opinion of his teammates, possesses initiative, perseverance, courage, and selflessness.

It was awarded for the first time last fall to Wilbur M. Davis '50. The original plaque hangs in Dillon Field House. A smaller replica goes to the winner each year.

Outstanding Line-Backer

Isenberg has been an outstanding line-backer for three years, playing practically every minute Harvard has been on defense during that time. This year, he was tried briefly at quarterback and left halfback at the start of the season, then used solely for defensive work.

Five men, in addition to Isenberg, received their third major football letter: Dike Hyde, Paul O'Brien, Dave Warden, Bill Rosenau, and Jerry Kanter.1950 football captain PHIL ISENBERG holds the Frederick Greeley Crocker memorial plaque for the most valuable player, which varsity lettermen voted to award him yesterday. The award was established in the spring of 1949 in honor of a 1933 Crimson end killed in the last World War.