German Students Will Stay Longer

Nine students, here on a State Department program, may have their stay extended because of the McCarran Act, Loster G. Hawkins, Jr, '41, government instructor and director of the program, said last night.

The original plan was to have the nine students here for one semester and then to replace them with nine other Germans next semester. But, Hawkins said, the McCarran Act provision barring former members of fascist groups may prevent any other German students from entering this country. "The students now here might then stay another semester," he said.

Most of the students who are supposed to come in February are former members of the Hitler Youth League. Hawkins points out, however, that practically every German youth joined, even if he was not a convinced fascist.

The State Department is trying to work out a definition of nominal membership in former fascist organizations, Hawkins stated. "If this attempt is successful," Hawkins said, "we may be able to continue the program as scheduled."

The students are all potential civil servants for Germany and are studying the American system of government.