O'Neil to Start in Offensive Quarterback Slot Saturday

Sophomore Gll O'Neil will start at offensive quarterback for the first time this season against Holy Cross. Passer Cal Lowenstein, who opened the first four games at that position will share single-wing tailback duties with starter Bob Ray.

The elevation of O'Neil is in line with the varsity's week-long emphasis on the single wing as its principal offensive formation. Coach Lloyd Jordan commented yesterday after practices that he was pleased with the Crimson's program in practice this week.

"We're not installing anything now," he explained. "We're merely brushing up on those single-wing plays we have had all season."

Yesterday, the varsity divided its time between setting defenses for the dangerous Holy Cross passing attack and polishing its own offense. With the Jayvees simulating Crusader pass patterns, the first string defensive backfield of line-backers Buddy Lomay and Phil Isenberg, halfbacks Dusty Burke and Dave Warden, and safetyman Red Wylie, went through a 45-minute semi-live session.

Offensive Lineup

When the varsity took the offense against the dummies, Paul Crowley and Fred Ravreby were at ends; Hank Toepke and Art Connelly at tackles; Jerry Kantor and Bill Rosenan at guards; and Paul O'Brien at center. The first string backfield had John West at full-back, O'Neil at quarterback, Ray at tailback, and Jerry Blits at wingback.

In the second backfield were Phil Isenberg at quarterback, Lowenstein at tailback, Tom Ossman at fullback and Wylie and Wardon alternating at wingback. During a short punting drill which followed, Lowenstein did the kicking from tailback.

Holdtmann Wears Pads

Defensive guard Dick Holdtmann, injured in the Dartmouth game, were pads yesterday as he went through a light workout. He will probably see some action Saturday, but end Dike Hyde, another Dartmouth casualty, is definitely out of the Crusader contest. Crowley will be called upon to play both ways in Hyde's place.

Jordan reviewed Holy Cross' season record after practice and pointed out that the Crusaders are one of the most offensive-minded teams in the nation. In five games thus far, Holy Cross has averaged 26 points.