Purple Enters Stadium as Two Touchdown Favorite

Maloy Spearheads Potent Crusader Passing Attack; Kickoff at 1:30

By Richard B. Kline

Statistics don't win football games, but on the basis of the impressive offensive record, Holy Cross rules as a two-touchdown favorite over the varsity in the Stadium this afternoon. The Crusaders, largely on the passing of young Charlie Maloy, have averaged 26 points in five games while the Crimson has netted a total of three touchdowns in four contests.

Today's game will start at 1:30 p.m., one-half hour earlier than usual, as will all November games.

With chances for victory resting largely on stopping Maloy, the varsity will go into the contest in its poorest physical condition of the season. End Dike Hyde, a defensive standout, is definitely out of the game; defensive guard Dick Heidtmann will see only limited action. In addition, regular defensive halfback Dusty Burke injured his back in practice this week and will be lost for two games.

The burden of taking Burke's place at defensive left halfback will fall on Ron Noonan, an untried sophomore with little game experience. He will be spelled by Bob Ray, although the latter is being relied upon to do much of the running from offensive tailback. Starting offensive guard Jerry Kanter will share defensive duty with Heldtmann, and offensive end Paul Crowley and George Emmons will split Hyde's defensive chores. PROBABLE STARTING LINEUPS HARVARD  HOLY CROSS Crowley (176)  le  Mikutowicz (180) Toepke (196)  lt  Feitch (210) Kanter (187)  lg  Jachowicz (180) O'Brien (210)  o  Gleason (195) Rosenau (198)  rg  Foley (210) Connelly (200)  rt  Donnalley (C) (220) Ravreby (197)  re  McCann (180) O'Neil (190)  qb  Maloy (175) Lowenstein (152)  lh  Turce (160) Biltz (188)  rh  Massucco. (180) West (203)  fb  Doyle (195)

But Holy Cross will be handicapped, too, as it bids for its second victory of the season and first at the Stadium in its last five appearances. The Crusaders have lost regular tackle Dick Sweeney for the season and end Tom McCann, Maloy's favorite passing target next to halfback John Turco, has a bad ankle and may not play. Loss of McCann would be serious to Crusader chances, since he is the 11th ranking pass receiver in the nation with 23 caught for 302 yards.

Possible Duel

Today's game may well develop into a passing duel between Maloy and the Crimson's Carroll Lowenstein. While the Crusaders have been impressive offensively, their defense has been porous. He Eddie Anderson's team has yielded 125 points in tying Dartmouth, beating Brown, and losing on successive weekends to Colgate, Syracuse, and Yale.

A contrast in offensive football techniques will be exhibited since the Crusaders, in their desire to score points, feature a wide-open winged-T attack to utilize the passing of Maloy and the running of Turco, Paul Gallo, Mel Massucco, and Bob Doyle. Turco has scored six touchdowns on passes from Maloy.

Coach Lloyd Jordan, on the other hand, has all but scrapped his T offense in favor of the less spectacular single-wing. The move is designed to give Lowenstein more time to pass and a better change to spot receivers. It will also benefit the varsity's best running back, fullback John West.

Lowenstein will start the game at tailback in place of the previously announced Ray. He is not the running threat that Ray is, but his record of 80 completions in 60 pass-attempts against teams of the caliber of Army and Council makes him too valuable to spend much time on the bench when the Crimson has the ball.

Jinxes on the Block

All sorts of winning streaks and jinxes will be on the block today. An Andersoncoached team has never lost to Harvard (the Crusaders won three straight under Anderson in the mid-thirties) but Anderson's 1935 triumph is the last that the Crusaders have enjoyed over the Crimson. In addition, Holy Cross is the last team to be beaten by Harvard, the 22 to 14 win being the only one of the season for the Crimson last year.TOM DONNALLEY, Holy Cross captain

Possible Duel

Jinxes on the Block