Crimson Soccer Team Loses Hard Game to Amherst, 2-1

Amherst's soccer team drowned Crimson hopes of taking away the New England Intercollegiate League title from them here Saturday. The Lord Jeff's took their 14th victory in 15 starts, coming from behind to defeat Bruce Munre's booters, 2 to 1.

In spite of the cold rain and mud, both teams kept their short-passing game well under control. It was a close, well-played game that could have gone either way up until the end.

The Crimson drew first blood early. In the second minute of play right halfback Bob Harding picked the ball up at midfield and dribbled deep into Purple territory. As the defense drew out to meet him, he lobbed the ball in to center forward Vern Drehmel who slammed the ball past the Amherst goalie for his tenth goal of the season.

The powerful center of the Lord Jeff line then started to roll. However, during the next 30 minutes of seesaw play, fine checking back and defensive play by halfbacks Pants Pantaleonl, Bill Engstrom, and Harding smothered the enemy scoring threat.

At 13:40 of the second period, a long outside Amherst shot banged off the eressbar of the goal. Right inside Paul Coon headed in the rebound. Harvard 1, Amherst 1.

The Crimson started pressing all over the field, but could not break through the final Jeff defense.

At 11:00 of the final stanza the Purple and White again broke down the field. In a mix-up in front of the goal, Amherst substitute right inside managed to head the ball through for the final score.