Professors Give Opinions on State Political Contest

Three College professors this weekend publicly supported Democratic Governor Paul A. Dever's financial program, claiming that he has spent funds wisely and that the state is getting more for its tax dollar now than ever before.

Seymour E. Harris '20, professor of Economics, Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr. '38, associate professor of History, and Samuel H. beer, association professor of Government, took this stand in a Dever campaign radio forum entitled, "The State of the Commonwealth."

Harris stated that "Under Governor Dever, the per capita state tax is only $69.53 while the national average is $81.12. While the per capita tax all over the country was rising 13.8 percent, in Massachusetts it rose only half that amount.

Amory, Holcombe for Coolidge

Professors supporting Republican candidate Coolidge have been active, but they have not been so publicly vociferous. Robert Amory, Jr. '36, professor of Law, and Arthur N. Holcombe '06, Eaton Professor of the Science of Government, have written letters and lent their names on behalf of certain Republican policies.

Amory, active in the support of "Plan E," will speak over the air at 5:15 p.m. today in his first public discussion of the Republican platform.

"This election," said Amory last night, "will probably force the conscientious voter to split his ballot. There are policies to be considered, and there are also personalities to be considered."