New Applied Sciences Lab Will Be Built on Oxford St.

Follows Trend Toward Department Growth

Exact plans for the construction of a sew Laboratory of Applied Sciences at a site on Oxford Street next to the Jefferson Laboratory of Physics will he disclosed shortly.

This building and the previously announced General Education lecture hall are still in the preliminary stages. But sufficient money is available for the laboratory in the form of an Engineering Sciences and Applied Physics departmental surplus, it was learned last night.

Caused by Expansion

"We've been planning on a new lab for game time," Emery L. Chafee, chairman of the Department of Engineering Sciences and Applied Physics, said yesterday. "Sites behind Pierce and Croft laboratories and next to Jefferson had been considered," he added.

Chaffee mentioned that since the Graduate School of Engineering was incorporated into the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences a year ago last June, the departments of Engineering and E.S.A.P. have expanded considerably, principally through the $16,000,000 donated by the will of Gordon McKay at the turn of the century.

The engineering and applied science departments have been in a state of flux since their inception, with Vanevar Bush heading an advisory committee for the determination of proper distribution of the McKay money. Facilities for E.S.A.P. and some mechanical engineering equipment have been housed in temporary structures in back of the biology laboratories.

The McKay funds cannot, however, be used for building purposes.

New Professorships May Result

An even greater increase in the two departments would have resulted, according to Chaffee, except for a deficiency in faculty because of a lack of appointments. The iminent expansion of the science plant will probably bring about new appointments, he added.

Original plans for a large Science Center on Oxford Street, to house the departments of Physics, E.S.A.P., Astronomy, Mathematics, and Geology, had to be abandoned because of the expense involved. Latest considerations, Chaffee said, were for a smaller building, on the style of Jefferson, containing laboratories, lecture halls, and offices.