Watson Begins Investigation of Album Finances

Associate Dean Watson promised yesterday an investigation of post-war class album and yearbook problems, after Jay Press, printer of "314," asked Watson to find out why Yearbook Publications had not paid the final $400 due for publishing the Class of 1950 volume.

While the dispute seemed near settlement last night, the possibility of future faculty supervision of yearbooks was still growing, according to a reliable source.

Paid Part

Yearbook Publications paid Jay Press all but $400 in printing bills during the summer, but withheld the final sum on the grounds that the bill was not due until the last copies were delivered.

Richard A. Van Deuren '51, Yearbook business manager, said last night he will pay the $400 in a short time, when he can close the "314" accounts.

The argument came over responsibility for delays at the bindery. Jay Press claimed no responsibility. Yearbook Publications asserted that it had contracted with Jay Press for the complete book, and that the latter had arranged for binding and must assume responsibility for it.

Previous post-war senior volumes have had more serious financial difficulties, and often postponed dates of delivery.